Friday, June 13, 2008

Books and Movies

After reading a string of books for research, I treat myself to a laugh out loud contemporary or historical romance. A great book sometimes makes me want to see a favorite movie again. A new movie will remind me of another movie that has to be added to the must-see list or a book I must tack onto the to-be-read pile.

I recently read Whispers of Heaven by Candice Proctor (aka C.S. Harris), set in 1840 Tasmania. This wonderful book that is now on my keeper shelf reminded me of another favorite, The Thorn Birds, set a century later in New Zealand. My copy of the book is on a shelf in my mom’s house so I asked the young clerk at my local video store if they had any copies of the DVD. I could tell by her puzzled look that she had never heard of it. And unfortunately, the answer was no.

The movie, Nim’s Island (based on the book by the same name), was a must-see after the previews showing Jodie Foster’s writer character. This fun family movie added another film onto my future viewing list, Romancing the Stone. Anytime Romancing the Stone is mentioned or clips are shown at the Romance Writers of America conference, it gets a huge amount of applause. Not sure if all of the writers in my area are checking the movie out, but it looks like I will have to buy my own copy if I want to see if anytime soon. Such a hardship.

Am I the only one in this book reading-movie watching cycle? Is it summertime fever? Do you have any favorite books or movies that you pull off of the shelf at this time of year?

3 comments:

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I pull a lot of Scooby Doo and Disney movies off the shelves at this time of year, but I don't watch them myself...

Jody

Shauna Roberts said...

I rarely enjoy a movie as much as the original book (or even as much as the novelization of the movie). So I don't get into the book–movie–book cycle you do.

Michelle McGinnis said...

Nothing to do with anything, but I've tagged you over on my site. Hope you don't mind! I'll miss you at conference this year.