Friday, March 7, 2008

Dr. Seuss Week

This week children all over the U.S. are celebrating the birthday of Dr. Seuss with the National Education Association’s “Read Across America”. School libraries and bookstores are hosting special events to honor one of my favorite authors.

Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel) had ambitions to become a college professor. During his time at Dartmouth College, Ted Geisel was editor-in-chief of the humor magazine, a job he lost for breaking school rules. He continued to contribute illustrations under the name Seuss, his middle name and his mother’s maiden name.

Despite Ted Geisel’s successful career as a cartoonist, with his work appearing in The Saturday Evening Post, Life, and Vanity Fair magazines, his start as a children’s book author and illustrator was not easy. His first published book that he both wrote and illustrated, And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street was rejected 27 times!

Some of my favorite Dr. Seuss memories:

*Hearing The Lorax read in place of the class president’s address when I graduated from the Tulane University School of Social Work.
*Seeing the musical, Seussical, at the Saenger Theatre in New Orleans and constantly whispering comments to my husband during the show like, “I love that book!” OR “That one is my favorite.”
*Visiting the “Oh, Seuss! Off to Great Places” traveling exhibit featured at the Louisiana Children’s Museum’s reopening in 2006. (I wanted to take the entire exhibit home with me. It was fantastic!).

For more fun info on Dr. Seuss, click here. And yes, I did try the games.

Do you have any special memories associated with Dr. Seuss or any of your favorite books?

4 comments:

Farrah Rochon said...

I love this program! Last year I visited a school in my parish and read POP ON TOP to a set of first graders (at least I think that's the one I read.) I enjoyed it just as much as the kids.

My favorite Dr. Seuss book is GREEN EGGS AND HAM. I can remember reading it over and over again when I was a wee bit little gir. :)

Shauna Roberts said...

I have to admit, I'm not a big Dr. Seuss fan. But I did own and reread many times If I Ran the Circus. It was empowering to imagine being in charge and making things better.

Doesn't he have a book for older adults? I keep thinking it's time to get that as a reminder to live life fully.

Rae Ann Parker said...

My favorite is also IF I RAN THE CIRCUS with CAT IN THE HAT being a close second. I am not familiar with a book for older adults and could not find any reference to one online. I still loving reading the Dr. Seuss books and think they are fun for readers of any age.

Sphinx Ink said...

I love Dr. Seuss. I don't recall seeing his books when I was a small child, but by the time I was a teenager (in the 1960s) there were tons of them on the market. I remember my cousin and I reciting parts of ONE FISH TWO FISH RED FISH BLUE FISH to each other and laughing to split our sides. We pretended to be scornful because it was a kiddy book, but underneath we loved it. I bought many Dr. Seuss books for my daughter when she was little. All Hail Dr. Seuss!