Friday, March 13, 2009

Spellcheck is My Friend

Yesterday I took a spelling challenge on my friend, Kit Wilkinson’s blog. I thought I was an excellent speller. Let’s just say I’m glad it wasn’t a real test to see whether I will be allowed to continue to write novels.

It was a test on the 25 most commonly misspelled words, so I guess I’m not alone. Last week on this blog, I mentioned my appreciation of index cards. Now I must add spellcheck. And my dictionary. And my thesaurus.

Are you a good speller? Want to find out? If so, click here. How did you do?

12 comments:

Tom said...

67% on the test with two 'don't know' No idea on what's acceptable in British english. One I need to look up just to satisfy myself.

Rae Ann Parker said...

TOM: I hate to say this, but I did worse than that! That's why I love spellcheck.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

78%, yikes! The Wench needs some remedial treatment!

Rae Ann Parker said...

WRITER & CAT (aka JODY):
The Grammar Wench is still waaaayyyy ahead of the rest of us.

Monica McCabe said...

My score - 74%. I'm surprised too, because it was harder than I thought it would be. Spellcheck is my friend. The thesaurus too.

Fun stuff! I like taking tests like this. Gives me a reality check!

Rae Ann Parker said...

Hi MONICA! Although your score was slightly lower than The Grammar Wench's score, it was still pretty good. We can't all be grammar experts.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I did worse than everyone! That -ance and -ence thing killed me.

Shauna Roberts said...

81% for me. There were only two words I would have looked up in a dictionary if I were copyediting, so I need to do some remedial spelling study.

Rae Ann Parker said...

SHAUNA, I'm not sure you really need any remedial spelling study, but if so at least you have plenty of dictionaries!

Courtney said...

Hi Rae,
I peak in on your blog from time to time. Hope you don't mind!

I scored a 78% on the spell test and I'm an accountant. Kinda proud of myself.....

Rae Ann Parker said...

Hi COURTNEY: All blog readers are welcome here, accountants, doctors, lawyers, ditch diggers, writers, readers, well you get the picture. Thanks for stopping by!

Shauna Roberts said...

LOL!